Are you a talented international student with dreams of making a difference in the world? Do you demonstrate strong leadership skills, academic excellence, and a passion for community service? If so, the University of British Columbia UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award could help turn your vision into reality. As one of Canada’s most prestigious scholarships for international students, the International Leader of Tomorrow Award provides renewable funding for some of the world’s brightest minds to study at one of the top universities in the country.
Winners of the International Leader of Tomorrow Award receive renewable scholarships of $10,000 (Canadian) per year for a maximum of four years. The award covers tuition and living expenses so you can focus on your studies and extracurricular activities. Recipients are selected based on outstanding achievement in fields of study that contribute to the betterment of society. If you have a proven track record of leadership and want to gain a world-class education, apply to become an International Leader of Tomorrow. The future is yours to shape.
What Is the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award?
The UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award recognizes outstanding international students who demonstrate superior academic achievement, intellectual promise, leadership potential, and a commitment to community involvement. Recipients receive full funding for tuition and fees, as well as a supplemental stipend for living expenses for the duration of their undergraduate degree at The University of British Columbia.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be an international student (not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident)
- Have a record of academic excellence and intellectual promise
- Demonstrate leadership in your school or community
- Contribute to the enrichment of your school or community
- Be entering your first year at UBC directly from secondary school or first-year university
A selection committee evaluates applicants based on:
- Academic achievement and intellectual promise
- Demonstrated leadership and volunteer roles
- Written statements expressing your goals, values, and future ambitions
- References who can attest to your abilities, work ethic, and character
If selected as a UBC International Leader of Tomorrow, you will join a cohort of globally-minded students. This prestigious award provides an opportunity to gain a world-class education, build your leadership skills, and form lifelong friendships. Most importantly, it allows you to pursue your dreams at one of the top universities in the world.
Eligibility Requirements for the UBC ILOT Award
To be eligible for the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow (ILOT) award, you must meet several requirements.
You must be an international student applying to UBC from a secondary school outside of Canada. Dual citizens who complete high school in Canada are not eligible.
You must demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and potential for success at UBC based on your secondary school grades. UBC looks for students in the top percentiles of their high school classes.
You should have a proven record of leadership experience and potential. This could include roles in student government, athletics, clubs, volunteer organizations, or other extracurricular activities. UBC values leaders who show initiative, motivation, and creativity.
You must provide evidence of broad interests and community involvement beyond your high school curriculum. This could include volunteer work, athletics, arts, music, or other areas of interest where you have made a meaningful contribution.
To be selected as an ILOT award recipient, you need to excel in all areas. Meeting only some of the requirements is insufficient. The award is highly competitive, so you must demonstrate your exceptional abilities and potential to stand out among top students from around the world. If selected, the ILOT award provides a renewable tuition scholarship as well as additional benefits to support your success at UBC.
How to Apply for the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award
To apply for the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award, you must meet the eligibility criteria and submit a complete application.
To be eligible for the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award, you must:
- Be an international student applying for your first undergraduate degree at UBC.
- Demonstrate outstanding leadership qualities and potential.
- Have a record of volunteer service and community involvement.
- Achieve a minimum overall average of 85% (3.7 GPA) in your most recently completed school year.
The application consists of:
- An online application form with personal information, grades, English test scores, and extracurricular activities. Provide exhaustive details on your leadership experience, community service, awards and accomplishments.
- Short essays on your leadership experience, volunteer work, future goals, and how you will contribute to the UBC community. Convey your passion for leadership and desire to create positive change. Discuss any challenges you have faced and the resilience you have shown.
- Two confidential references from teachers who can evaluate your leadership potential and personal qualities. Ask teachers who know you well and can give specific examples of your abilities and impact.
- An application fee of $100 for international students. The fee can be paid by credit card, wire transfer, certified cheque or money order.
Meeting all criteria and submitting a compelling application gives you a strong chance of being selected as a UBC International Leader of Tomorrow. Recipients receive a renewable tuition award of $5,000 per year for up to 4 years of undergraduate study. This prestigious award can help make your dream of studying at UBC a reality.
As you have seen the UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award is a prestigious honor recognizing exceptional international students who demonstrate leadership and community involvement. The application process requires dedication and time to thoughtfully complete all components. However, the rewards of being selected for this award are immense, from financial support to exclusive networking and mentorship opportunities.
Becoming an International Leader of Tomorrow is not an easy feat, but with passion, vision, and persistence, you have the potential to join this esteemed group of changemakers. Do not doubt yourself or your abilities. You have already accomplished so much to be studying at UBC. Now is the time to share your story and voice with others to create positive change. Believe in yourself, build your community, and go forward to lead on the global stage. The University of British Columbia and the world need more leaders like you. You can do this! Success is closer than you think.